You can cook Ginger Bug using 3 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Ginger Bug
- Prepare 2 tsp of Grated ginger.
- Prepare 2 tsp of White sugar.
- It’s 900 ml of Non-chlorinated water.
Ginger Bug instructions
- Add grated ginger and water to a 1 liter jar..
- Add sugar and mix thoroughly..
- Cover the jar with a paper towel and secure with a rubber band. If using a mason jar with a 2 part lid, invert the cap and screw the ring on as usual..
- Leave the mixture in a warm area and feed it every day with another teaspoon each of grated ginger and sugar..
- Once the mixture is bubbling, it is ready to use..
- To make a soda, combine 1 liter of any sweetened fruit juice and 1/4 cup of ginger bug (strain out grated ginger) in a swingtop bottle. Let this mixture sit on your counter, releasing the gas every day or two by opening the bottle, until it reaches desired carbonation. Refrigerate to slow further carbonation..
- Notes: Only use wooden or plastic spoon to mix ginger bug as metal will have a negative effect on the bacteria. Tap water will hinder or prevent bacteria from growing; it is best to use bottled spring water. Instead of fruit juice, you can use a sweetened drink of your own making..
For Granma, I Love Cooking for Granma Recipes.