Candied Citrus and Ginger.
You can have Candied Citrus and Ginger using 6 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Candied Citrus and Ginger
- Prepare 4 of Lemons.
- It’s 3 of Limes.
- It’s 2 of Naval Oranges.
- Prepare 1 of Hunk Ginger.
- It’s 3 1/2 Cups of Sugar (+ 1/3 cup).
- Prepare 5 Cups of Water.
Candied Citrus and Ginger instructions
- Wash and cut all citrus in half. I recommend squeezing all of the juice into a container to make a citrus drink later (but that’s another story). Using a fillet knife, carefully cut flesh out of the fruits. Be sure to get as much of the white out of the peels as possible as it contributes to bitterness..
- Slice citrus peels to your liking. The thinner they are, the faster they’ll cook. Thicker, longer. cover them with cold water and bring to a boil. Boil for roughly 30 seconds at a rapid boil. Strain, rinse with cold water and repeat that process one more time..
- Peel a nice hunk of ginger. Slice thinly. Add it to your citrus peels. Really, you can use as much ginger as you fancy..
- Add sugar to water and bring to a boil while stirring occasionally. Add in citrus and ginger. Reduce heat to simmer..
- Simmer the citrus peel until they become translucent while stirring occasionally. That will take anywhere from 60-90 minutes, depending on how thick or thin you’ve sliced your peels..
- Put about 1/3 cup of sugar into a big bowl and add citrus and ginger into it. Toss until well coated. (I used granulated sugar. It isn’t brown sugar… its some hippie sugar, ignore the color). Immediately remove and place on racks to air dry. I recommend allowing it to dry overnight..
- Store in a container with a lid. It will keep longer in the refrigerator. If the syrup thickens, place jar in a pot with some water and bring it to a simmer. You will be able to pour it after about a minute..
For Granma, I Love Cooking for Granma Recipes.